Martin M. Antony is Professor in the Department of Psychology at Ryerson University in Toronto. He also holds part time or adjunct faculty appointments at McMaster University and the University of Toronto. Dr. Antony previously served as department chair and graduate program director in the Psychology Department at Ryerson University. He was also the founding director of both the Anxiety Treatment and Research Clinic and the Psychology Residency Program at St. Joseph’s Healthcare, Hamilton. Dr. Antony is a fellow of the Royal Society of Canada and a past president of the Canadian Psychological Association.
Dr. Antony received his PhD in clinical psychology from the University at Albany, State University of New York in 1994, and completed his internship at the University of Mississippi Medical Center. He is internationally known for his books and research in the areas of anxiety disorders, perfectionism, cognitive-behavioral therapy, and assessment of psychological disorders. He has published 30 books, including a variety of evidence-based self-help manuals (e.g., Shyness and Social Anxiety Workbook, 3rd ed.; When Perfect Isn’t Good Enough, 2nd ed.; The Anti-Anxiety Workbook), Practical books for therapists (e.g., Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy for Perfectionism; Handbook of Assessment and Treatment Planning for Psychological Disorders, 2nd ed.), and research texts (e.g., Obsessive Compulsive Disorder; Oxford Handbook of Anxiety and Related Disorders). In addition to these books, Dr. Antony has published more than 250 scientific articles and book chapters in areas related to cognitive behavior therapy, obsessive compulsive disorder, panic disorder, social phobia, specific phobia, and perfectionism. He has also held more than $2 million in research funding from a variety of national and international agencies.
Dr. Antony has received career awards from the Society of Clinical Psychology (American Psychological Association), the Canadian Psychological Association, and the Anxiety Disorders Association of America, and is a Fellow of the American and Canadian Psychological Associations, the Association for Psychological Science, the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies, and the Canadian Association for Cognitive and Behavioral Therapies. He has also served on the Boards of Directors for the Society of Clinical Psychology and the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies, and as Program Chair for past conventions of the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies and the Anxiety Disorders Association of America.
Dr. Antony trains and supervises numerous students in psychology, psychiatry, and other disciplines. He has given more than 300 workshops and presentations to professionals across four continents. He has also been interviewed, featured, or quoted more than 450 times in various print, radio, television, and online media outlets, including the CBC, CNN, CTV, the Globe and Mail, National Post, Toronto Star, New York Times, Washington Post, Chatelaine Magazine, O (Oprah) Magazine, Reader’s Digest, Prevention Magazine, Scientific American Mind, and many others.
- Constantino, M.J., Romano, F.M., Coyne, A.E., Westra, H.A., & Antony, M.M. (in press). Client interpersonal impacts as mediators of long-term outcome in cognitive-behavioral therapy integrated with motivational interviewing for generalized anxiety disorder. Psychotherapy Research.
- Constantino, M.J., Westra, H.A., Antony, M.M., & Coyne, A.E. (in press). Specific and common processes as mediators of the long-term effects of cognitive-behavioral therapy integrated with motivational interviewing for generalized anxiety disorder. Psychotherapy Research.
- Coyne, A.E., Constantino, M.J., Laws, H.B., Westra, H.A., & Antony, M.M. (in press). Patient-therapist convergence in alliance ratings as a predictor of outcome in psychotherapy for generalized anxiety disorder. Psychotherapy Research.
- Gomez Penedo, J.M., Constantino, M.J., Coyne, A.E., Westra, H.A., & Antony, M.M. (in press). Markers for context-responsiveness: Client baseline interpersonal problems moderate the efficacy of two psychotherapies for generalized anxiety disorder. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology.
- Hara, K.M., Westra, H.A., Constantino, M.J., & Antony, M.M. (in press). The impact of resistance on empathy in cognitive-behavioral therapy for generalized anxiety disorder. Psychotherapy Research.
- Krause, K.L., MacDonald, E.M., Goodwill, A., Vorstenbosch, V., & Antony, M.M. (in press). Assessing safety behaviors in fear of storms: Validation of the Storm-Related Safety Behavior Scale. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment.
- Lima, J., McCabe-Bennett, H., & Antony, M.M. (in press). Treatment of storm fears using virtual reality and progressive muscle relaxation. Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy.
- Morrison, N.R., Constantino, M.J., Westra, H.A., Kertes, A., Goodwin, B.J., & Antony, M.M. (in press). Using interpersonal process recall to compare patients’ accounts of resistance in two psychotherapies for generalized anxiety disorder. Journal of Clinical Psychology: In Session.
- Pawluk, E.J., Koerner, N., Tallon, K., & Antony, M.M. (in press). Unique correlates of problem solving effectiveness in individuals with generalized anxiety disorder. Cognitive Therapy and Research.
- Wilson, G.A., Koerner, N., & Antony, M.M. (in press). An examination of feedback seeking in individuals with social anxiety disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, or no history of mental disorder using a daily diary method. Journal of Cognitive Psychotherapy.
- Desnoyers, A., Kocovski, N.L., Fleming, J.E., & Antony, M.M. (2017). Self-focused attention and safety behaviors across group therapies for social anxiety disorder. Anxiety, Stress, and Coping, 30, 441-455.
- Fairbrother, N., Young, A.H., Zhang, A., Janssen, P., & Antony, M.M. (2017). The prevalence and incidence of perinatal anxiety disorders among women experiencing a medically complicated pregnancy. Archives of Women’s Mental Health, 20, 311-319.
- Hara, K.M., Aviram, A., Constantino, M.J., Westra, H.A., & Antony, M.M. (2017). Therapist empathy, homework compliance and outcome in cognitive-behavioural therapy for generalized anxiety disorder: Partitioning within- and between-therapist effects. Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, 46, 375-390.
- MacKenzie, M.B., Kocovski, N.L., Blackie, R.A., Carrique, L., Fleming, J.E., & Antony, M.M. (2017). Development of a brief version of the Social Anxiety – Acceptance and Action Questionnaire. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, 39, 342-354.
- Vickers, K., Ein, N., Koerner, N., Kusec, A., McCabe, R.E., Rowa, K., & Antony, M.M. (2017). Self-reported hygiene-related behaviors among individuals with contamination-related obsessive-compulsive disorder, individuals with anxiety disorders, and nonpsychiatric controls. Journal of Obsessive-Compulsive and Related Disorders, 14, 71-83.
- Waechter, S., Rowa, K., Milosevic, I., Shnaider, P., Antony, M.M., & McCabe, R.E. (2017). Social anxiety and the accuracy of memory for childhood teasing frequency. Journal of Cognitive Psychotherapy, 31, 151-157.