Martin M. Antony is professor in the Department of Psychology at Ryerson University in Toronto. He also holds faculty appointments at McMaster University and the University of Toronto. Dr. Antony previously served as department chair and founding graduate program director in the Psychology Department at Ryerson University. He was also the founding director of both the Anxiety Treatment and Research Clinic and the Psychology Residency Program at St. Joseph’s Healthcare, Hamilton. Dr. Antony is a fellow of the Royal Society of Canada, and previously served as president of the Canadian Psychological Association (2009-2010) and the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (2019-2020). In addition, he is provincial clinical and training lead of the Ontario Structured Psychotherapy Program.
Dr. Antony received his PhD in clinical psychology from the University at Albany, State University of New York in 1994, and completed his internship at the University of Mississippi Medical Center. He is internationally known for his books and research in the areas of anxiety disorders, perfectionism, cognitive-behavioral therapy, and assessment of psychological disorders. He has published 32 books, including a variety of evidence-based self-help manuals (e.g., Shyness and Social Anxiety Workbook, 3rd ed.; When Perfect Isn’t Good Enough, 2nd ed.; The Anti-Anxiety Program, 2nd ed.), Practical books for therapists (e.g., Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy for Perfectionism; Handbook of Assessment and Treatment Planning for Psychological Disorders, 3rd ed.), and research texts (e.g., Obsessive Compulsive Disorder; Oxford Handbook of Anxiety and Related Disorders). In addition to these books, Dr. Antony has published more than 300 scientific articles and book chapters in areas related to cognitive behavior therapy, obsessive compulsive disorder, panic disorder, social phobia, specific phobia, and perfectionism. He has also held more than $4 million in research funding from a variety of national and international agencies.
Dr. Antony has received career awards from the Society of Clinical Psychology (American Psychological Association), the Canadian Psychological Association, and the Anxiety Disorders Association of America, and is a Fellow of the American and Canadian Psychological Associations, the Association for Psychological Science, the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies, and the Canadian Association for Cognitive and Behavioral Therapies. He has also served on the Boards of Directors for the Society of Clinical Psychology and the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies, and as Program Chair for past conventions of the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies and the Anxiety Disorders Association of America.
Dr. Antony trains and supervises numerous students in psychology, psychiatry, and other disciplines. He has given more than 425 workshops and presentations to professionals across four continents. He has also been interviewed, featured, or quoted more than 450 times in various print, radio, television, and online media outlets, including the CBC, CNN, CTV, the Globe and Mail, National Post, Toronto Star, New York Times, Washington Post, Chatelaine Magazine, O (Oprah) Magazine, Reader’s Digest, Prevention Magazine, Scientific American Mind, and many others.
- Bieling, P.J., McCabe, R.E., & Antony, M.M. (in press). Cognitive behavioral therapy in groups (2nd). Guilford Press.
- Henderson, L.C., Stewart, K.E., Koerner, N., Rowa, K., McCabe, R.E., & Antony, M.M. (in press). The relationship between religiosity, spirituality, and obsessive-compulsive disorder-related symptoms in clinical and nonclinical samples. Psychology of Religion and Spirituality.
- McCabe, R.E., Capobianco, L., & Antony, M.M. (in press). Anxiety and fear related disorders: Social anxiety disorder and specific phobia. In Tasman, M.B. Riba, T.G. Schulze, C.H. Ng, C.A. Alfonso, D. Lecic-Tosevski, S. Kanba, R.D. Alarcón & E.M. Ndetei (Eds.), Tasman’s psychiatry (5th ed.). Springer.
- Norouzian, N., Westra, H.A., Button, M.L., Constantinio, M.J., & Antony, M.M. (in press). Ambivalence and the working alliance in variants of cognitive-behavioural therapy for generalised anxiety disorder. Counselling and Psychotherapy Research. https://doi.org/10.1002/capr.12332
- Pawluk, E.J., Musielak, N., Milosevic, I., Rowa, K., Shnaider, P., Schneider, L.H., Antony, M.M., & McCabe, R.E. (in press).Psychometric properties of the Diagnostic Assessment Research Tool (DART) Self-Report Screener for DSM-5 mental disorders. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment.
- Roberge, P., Provencher, M.D., Gaboury, I., Gosselin, P., Vasiliadis, H.-M., Benoît, A., Carrier, N., Antony, M.M., Chaillet, N., Houle, J., Hudon, C., & Norton, P.J. (in press). Group transdiagnostic cognitive-behavior therapy for anxiety disorders: A pragmatic randomized clinical trial. Psychological Medicine.
- Rogojanski, J., Zeifman, R.J., Antony, M.M., Walker, J.R., Monson, C.M., and the Mobilizing Minds Research Group (in press). Evaluation of a decision aid for the treatment of adult depression.Journal of American College Health. http://doi.org/1080/07448481.2020.1817034
- Stewart, K.E., & Antony, M.M. (in press). Exposure for multiple anxiety disorders. In J.A.J. Smits, J. Jacquart, J. Abramowitz, & J. Arch (Eds.), Clinical guide to exposure therapy: Beyond phobias. Springer.
- Tsekova, V., Lenton-Brym, A.P., Rogojanski, J., Hood, H.K., Vorstenbosch, V., McCabe, R.E., & Antony, M.M. (in press). Psychometric properties of the Ryerson Social Anxiety Scales in individuals with social anxiety disorder. Anxiety, Stress, and Coping.
- Westra, H.A., Norouzian, N., Poulin, L., Coyne, A.E., Constantino, M.J., Hara, K., Olson, D., & Antony, M.M. (in press). Testing a deliberate practice workshop for developing appropriate responsivity to resistance markers. Psychotherapy. https://org/10.1037/pst0000311
- Coyne, A.E., Constantino, M.J., Gaines, A.N., Laws, H.B., Westra, H.A., & Antony, M.M. (2021). Association between therapist attunement to patient outcome expectation and worry reduction in two therapies for generalized anxiety disorder. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 68(2), 182-193. http://doi.org/ 1037/cou0000457
- Lenton-Brym, A.P., Santiago, V.A., Fredborg, B.K., & Antony, M.M. (2021). Associations between social anxiety, depression, and the use of mobile dating applications. Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, 24(2), 86-93. https://doi.org/1089/cyber.2019.0561
- Muir, H.J., Constantino, M.J., Coyne, A.E., Westra, H.A., & Antony, M.M. (2021). Integrating responsive motivational interviewing with CBT for generalized anxiety disorder: Direct and indirect effects on interpersonal outcomes. Journal of Psychotherapy Integration, 31(1), 54-69. https://doi.org/10.1037/int0000194
- Norton, P.J., & Antony, M.M. (2021). The anti-anxiety program: A workbook of proven strategies to overcome worry, panic, and phobias (2nd). Guilford Press.
- Shaw, P.V., Wilson, G.A., & Antony, M.M. (2021). An examination of emotional contagion of social anxiety using novel video stimuli. Anxiety, Stress, and Coping, 34(2), 215-227. http://doi.org/10.1080/10615806.2020.1839729
- Stewart, K., Antony, M.M., & Koerner, N. (2021). A randomized experimental analysis of the attention training technique: Effects on worry and relevant processes in individuals with probable generalized anxiety disorder. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 14, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brat.2021.103863
- Wong, Q.J.J., Gregory, B., Norton, A.R., Shikatani, B., Boulton, K.A., Torok, M., Porter, M.A., Peters, L., Abbott, M.J., & Antony, M.M. (2021). Psychometric properties of the Self-Beliefs Related to Social Anxiety (SBSA) Scale in a sample of individuals with social anxiety disorder. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 78, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.janxdis.2021.102365
- Zeifman, R.J., Ip, J., Antony, M.M., & Kuo, J.R. (2021). On loving thyself: Self-compassion and suicide risk. Journal of American College Health, 69(4), 396-403. https://doi.org/10.1080/07448481.2019.1679154